Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude: B


I'm grateful for Books.


I love reading! That makes me sound totally nerdy, but it's totally true! I remember a day when I was about 9 and I was reading Black Beauty. I had started it in the morning and spent the whole day reading. I was really excited that I was going to finish the book in one day -- what an accomplishment! But then my mom forced me to stop reading and go play outside so I didn't finish it until the next day and I was sooooo disappointed. Yep...I'm a nerd.

Anyway -- It's very very difficult for me to pick a favorite anything, let alone something I love as much as books. But this is my "go-to" answer when I am forced to pick a favorite.

As you can see, my copy is well loved.

It's the memoirs of a country vet in Scotland. It's not the most exciting or fast-paced book, but it's perfect when you need something that you can get into and out of quickly (at rehearsal, on the bus, in a waiting room, etc.) and the characters are so real and so loveable.

I also recently read this and loved it!


It's a story told from the point of view of a young autistic boy. I highly recommend it.

One of my favorite family traditions is that Santa Claus brings each person a book for Christmas along with filling their stocking. I've found some of my favorite books that way. If it's Christmas afternoon and you're wondering where I am -- a good guess is sitting in front of the Christmas tree reading my new book.

Books don't have to be great works of literature for me to love them (though I do like to think I know the difference, at least a little). If it's an interesting enough story I'm happy to get pulled in. And I like all genres -- mystery, historical fiction, non-fiction (I love a good biography!), drama, fantasy, etc. And it never hurts if there's a touch of romance. ;)

Another thing about me and books is that I go through them pretty fast and I'm not very patient. Which is not normally a problem, except when it comes to a book series. It stresses me out to have to wait until the next book comes out, so I often wait until a series is finished before I read it. I waited for the Harry Potter books to all be published before I read them. And then it was 7 books in about 14 days. I had to pause a few times for food and sleep after all.

When I finish books I'm always a little sad that the characters are not a part of my life anymore. There's very little as satisfying as escaping the real world through diving into a book.


Other B things I'm grateful for: Bread, my Bed, Bees 'cause they make honey, Banana muffins, Beaches, Brains, Bubbles, Babies, Best Friends, and Bakeries.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I would love to see book review on your blog! I'm always looking for good books to read. Isn't reading wonderful?

The Gibbs said...

your posts are simply delicious. this one on books, absolutely divine, everything you said hits very close to home. are we twins? miss you.