Friday, November 5, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude: C



This one is easy. :)

I am grateful for Christmas!




Christmas is without question my FAVORITE holiday! I have always loved it, and I'm sure I always will. I have been listening to Christmas music for several weeks now.
Don't judge. It comes from growing up as a musician--if you're going to perform Christmas music in December you have to start practicing in October.

There's just something magic about Christmas. I love all the decorations and music and food and snow and lights and everything!!!!

But even more I love that it gives me an opportunity to see family and friends more often. I love that it inspires us to be our best selves.

And most of all I love that it reminds me to take time to think of my Savior. I try to make that a daily habit, but it's nice to have a season to celebrate His birth.


When I think of Christmas there are so many wonderful images that come to mind. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Going to pick out a Christmas tree with my dad. All the kids went when we were little, but now it's just me and him. I haven't missed a year yet.
  • Standing in the cold watching my dad put up Christmas lights on the trees and house. He hated doing it--it's a pain and he's afraid of heights--but he did it because it meant so much to me.
  • The Santa pillow it took me 4 years to cross-stitch and sew.
  • The oh-so-annoying but can't-live-without-it Jingle Bell hanging by the door. When you pull the string it plays Jingle Bells over and over again. It's tradition to pull it on the way out the door for everyone else to enjoy after you've left. :)
  • Celebrating my dad's birthday on Christmas Eve.
  • Reading the Christmas story and singing Christmas hymns around the tree before bed.
  • Reading my new book on Christmas.
  • Sitting in front of the tree with my mom--talking or just enjoying the quiet.
  • Decorating the tree as a family, and remembering all the old ornaments and the stories behind them.

I love Christmas so much, that although I was trying to down-size my life as much as possible when I moved to Seattle, I reserved one box just for Christmas decorations and put in as much as I could. I'm ashamed to say they aren't out yet, but that will change this weekend!

Now, some of you are about to comment on how atrocious it is that I'm playing Christmas music and putting up decorations this early, and that I'm ignoring Thanksgiving by doing so. To you I say PFFFFFFFFFTTTT!!!!! My love for Christmas takes nothing away from Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving too! I don't see any reason why they can't coexist. Getting excited for Christmas this early does not keep me from getting excited for Thanksgiving and for celebrating it to the fullest. My friend Matt recently explained one aspect of this. You should read it. He's funny.



Other C things I'm grateful for: Cookies, Cake, Cucumbers, Caramel, Crayons, Computers, Cell Phones, Clapping, Compassion, Cupcakes, Crackers, Cocoa, & Chocolate.

**Note: I know I'm behind a day. I was going to catch up tonight, but it's late, so I'm going to put it off until tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Amy Anderson said...

Yay! I absolutely LOVE Christmas too!!! And I definitely agree you can celebrate both Christmas and Thanksgiving. One thing I'm very thankful for is Christmas ;) And don't worry, I never stop listening to christmas music! I listen to it all year round