Sunday, April 10, 2011

Impulse Buys



A few years ago I was at the dentist (which I HATE) and was miraculously declared cavity-free. So I was feeling pretty good at the end of the appointment. As I was filling out the paperwork just before leaving, the technician asked if I wanted to purchase an electric toothbrush. I, of course, declined. But then she talked about how much she loved it and the dentist himself passed by and mentioned that he had been a skeptic but had become a believer. And then the technician mentioned how much they helped reduce plaque and cavities and all my dental anxiety rose to the surface...and I bought one. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but something around $100. Not crazy, but not a tiny amount.


I remember calling my mom on the way home and telling her that they had talked me into buying it and that I was already feeling regret. Why would I possibly need an electric toothbrush?! I'd been brushing my teeth manually for years, and while I wasn't 100% cavity free I hadn't lost any teeth yet! And I'd never even had a root canal! What was I thinking!?!?

But to return it I'd have to go back to the Dentist's office, and I do NOT go to those torture chambers unless absolutely necessary! So I gave it a shot.

At first the most noticeable thing was that it tickled. A LOT. But I soon got used to it and while it was kinda fun to brush my teeth with it, I didn't really think it was that big of a deal.

Then the battery died and I forgot to charge it for a few days so I was back to normal tooth brushing. After even just a few days my teeth felt so gross. Grimy and filmy and ewww. I charged the battery and was so relieved that my mouth finally felt clean and shiny again!



You need one. You probably think you're doing a great job brushing your teeth. And you probably are. But get one of these. Your teeth will never be the same.




Seriously. Get one. Now.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I really have been thinking about it. But $100? Ouch. And if I buy one, do I need to get one for Trevor and Cassie, too? Hmm...

Melissa said...

Emily -- I may be totally off on the price, it has been a few years since I bought mine. And they have interchangeable heads, so you can buy just one base and each person can have their own brush. It's easy to switch. :)

tyler + linds said...

i found you!!! yeah for long workdays with nothing to do but blog stalk!!! i read your entire blog...and i must say, i love you even more. i miss you madly!