Sunday, January 8, 2012

His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."

Sometimes I'm a music snob. I try to avoid it, but it's an occupational hazard. I make a particular effort to avoid it when it comes to church music, because I know that in that setting especially, the quality of the music is much less important than the spirit of the music. But sometimes when certain hymns are announced, the music snob inside of me rears its ugly head and thinks about how slow and boring and monotonous those over done hymns can be.

And that is what happened today. I was substituting as the chorister, and as I got up to conduct the closing hymn I was thinking about how it was way over done, and very repetitive, and basically just not my favorite.

And then we got to the last verse, and God decided to teach me a lesson. :)

I believe in Christ; He stands supreme! 
From Him I'll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."
I believe in Christ; so come what may,
With Him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again
To rule among the sons of men.

I almost couldn't make it through the end of the hymn. What a beautiful reminder that my Heavenly Father loves me and is preparing me to "gain my fondest dream." The "grief and pain" feel very real, but so does the reassurance that "come what may" I will be reunited with my Savior and be blessed beyond anything I can imagine. 

It was a good lesson for today. :) 


2 comments:

Katie Houston said...

Um...thank you.

Kare Bear Shares said...

I totally know what you mean...I definitely am a unproclaimed music snob...ok so I'm kinda proclaimed too, but sometimes its really hard! But I love it when Heavenly Father throws those simple but powerful lines at you and you are suddenly overwhelmed by it. It happens to me a lot in Primary songs :) I love you. You're amazing.