Saturday, June 25, 2011

Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock

Last night was ... memorable.

Julie and I went to a "concert" with some friends.
(yes, those quotation marks are intentional)

That's right. Harry and the Potters were playing at the Seattle Public Library and we were there to witness it.

Who are Harry and the Potters you ask?
(so did I)

Well, it's these two guys (and a drummer, who was really good, but kinda seemed like he was just there 'cause he was getting paid) who jump around the stage calling each other Harry Potter and singing songs about Harry Potter.

This is what Julie and I looked like throughout the night.


A mixture of confusion and concern.

Not that I don't love Harry Potter -- 'cause I totally do. I just felt a little out of my element among the true believers.

To give them credit, they weren't wholly without talent. There were some interesting musical ideas, they played their instruments fairly well, and I think there was some singing potential (although my voice hurt on their behalf by about 1/3 of the way through because it deteriorated to mostly just screaming...). The lyrics were also sometimes clever -- and sometimes not. I think they could actually have some good stuff with a little more effort. But I guess they don't really need to put in the effort because they are already automatically loved by association with that famous name. :)

The entertainment level, on the other hand, was pretty high. They were 100% committed and knew how to work their audience full of die-hard Harry Potter fans.

All in all, it was a good time.

Here's a video of the end of the final song. It's really bad quality, sorry. If you can't tell they are singing "Harry Potter" over and over again to the tune of *insert title here 'cause I can't remember it*. The rest of their songs were all original material.





I've got my ticket for the midnight movie premiere -- do you?!?

No comments: