Friday, December 31, 2010

My Christmas Letter

I have gotten a lot of Christmas letters and cards from friends and family this season and I love it! It's so fun to see pictures of people I love with their beautiful families and read what great things they've been up to the past year.

And then I felt bad that I've never sent anything like that out.

And then I realized I didn't need to feel bad because I don't really need to send one because I don't have a husband and children to send pictures and updates about.

And then I felt bad that I don't have a husband and children.

And then I realized I don't need to feel bad because I am doing some pretty awesome and interesting things in my singleness, dadgummit!

So! Whether it's necessary or not, here's my Christmas letter! Read on if you'd like. If you don't, I'll never know so I won't be offended. :)



Hello loved ones! This year has been a big one for me with lots of changes! Here's a quick overview:

January -- It's 2010!! I thought we'd all be dead by now. Kinda glad we're not... ;)

February -- Traveled to Seattle for a weekend to audition for the Choral Conducting Master's program at the University of Washington. Took my students on tour to San Diego the next weekend and fed the dolphins at SeaWorld, returning to this lovely note in my classroom.

March -- Happy Birthday to me!!! I turned 27 (ouch!) and did this blog project to help me deal with it. I also received my (unofficial) acceptance to UW and my choirs rocked at their competitions.

April -- Received the official acceptance and scholarship offer for UW. Enjoyed an amazing Spring Break in CA (including seeing this hottie live! He told me he loved me. Yep. Remember how you're jealous?). Decided to accept the offer to attend UW (yay!), and then told my students the news (not-so-yay...).

May -- Enjoyed the craziness of the last month of school highlighted with sweet notes from students, a few tears shed, and a great last concert.

June -- Cleaned out my classroom and turned over the keys, closing a wonderful a chapter of my life. And was in the right place at the right time for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

July -- Had a blast in rehearsals and performance for The Girl, The Grouch, and The Goat at the Hale Center Theater in Orem.

August -- Went to my brother's wedding in North Carolina, including a day at the beach. Loved seeing extended family at the reunion in Illinois.

September -- Drove a UHaul towing my car to Seattle. Moved into my new place and met my awesome new roommates. Killed A LOT of these. Started classes.

October -- Had another identity crisis. Worked hard and enjoyed classes.

November -- It snowed in Seattle, so they canceled classes and we went sledding in the streets!!! Enjoyed a whirlwind Thanksgiving weekend with trips home and to CA for Kate's wedding. So fun! Sang in my first big concert with the Chamber Singers at UW. (and failed at my gratitude blog project. Let's not talk about it. Sorry.)

December -- Finished up classes with a 4.0. Spent two amazing weeks in Utah with family and friends. Rearranged all the furniture in my bedroom in Seattle--somehow very cathartic.


So there you have it! More than you ever wanted to know about my life in 2010. It's been a fabulous and yet very difficult year. I'm so grateful for all the people I'm surrounded by and the love and support I've felt from all of you. Change is never easy, but it's a little more bearable knowing I have a Father in Heaven who is looking out for me and sending me wonderful people to help along the way. I love you all!

Love,
Melissa

p.s. Sorry there are no pictures. I forgot that I took all the pictures off my computer and haven't put them back on yet...

4 comments:

amanda j said...

Love it! Who needs husbands and kids to have spectacular updates!? I didn't even know you HAD a blog, and so I greatly appreciated the links to previous blogs. Now I feel so caught up! ;D

Tessa said...

4.0! I am not surprised! Way to go Many! I loved your Christmas letter and the monthly play-by-play format. Happy 2011!

Karen Decker said...

Love it! Love YOU!

Melissa said...

I would like to include the name of my beloved roommates for all of those who read my comments: "we" = Karissa and Julie. You should know them, whoever you are.